Thursday, May 24, 2007

7 1/2 Habits

Easiest - Accept responsibility for your own learning
Have confidence in yourself as an effective learner
Create your own learning toolbox (scrapbooking was even mentioned!!!)
Use technology to your advantage
Teach/mentor others

* I love teaching, and I have confidence in my intelligence and finding a path or tools to learn new skills and get answers if I need to do so.


Middle - Begin with the end in mind

* I am good at this with some things and not as good with others. I tend to be good with concrete plans but no so good with life plans. :(


Hardest - View problems as challenges (crisis! vs. learning challenge)
Play!

* I tend to stress out at even the littlest things - it's something that continues to be my biggest problem in both private and professional life. I would love to have a "mental shift" that would allow me to see each thing as a learning event FIRST rather than after the fact. And, along with that, I often forget to play - to enjoy successes and pause to just do something for me because I want to, rather than because I have to. Suggestions?


The Learning Contract is a great idea! I wonder if I can use it in classes. I'll have to think about how I might be able to incorporate this in the first week of class. The problem for me is always the amount of time that things take, especially things that are not content driven... but it's all so important. I need help prioritizing what is most important to OTHERS.

This was a really good presentation! I find that I am a multi-tasker. I was taking notes and looking at the contract while the slide show was playing - using my listening for the show and my eyes for the tools. I don't know if this is the most effective way to learn, but I think it's efficient so long as I get the information presented. It's definitely a learned skill in and of itself. :)

No comments: